We will make a sincere effort to honor your appointment time. Unfortunately, emergencies do arise which occasionally cause delays in our schedule. Under these circumstances we ask for your patience and understanding. Our office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you need to cancel an appointment, please call our office at least 24 hours in advance. This will enable us to schedule another patient for this time and avoid a possible service charge to you.
How You Can Help
We are aware that you may not be feeling well; but you are able to be of assistance to us. Notify our office as soon as possible when your address, phone number, marital status or insurance coverage changes. Check your billing statement carefully and if you suspect an error, kindly let us know. Please be prompt for your appointment so that all patients can receive the individual attention that they deserve. We thank you, in advance, for your understanding and cooperation.
A neuropsychologist is specially trained in evaluating changes that may be symptoms of your neurological illness. In order to reach an accurate diagnosis, problems with language, memory and other mental functions are evaluated. Special tests are given for determining problem areas in attention, memory, language and problem solving. Together, the neuropsychologist and neurologist recommend your necessary treatment. Counseling, psycho-therapy, biofeedback and relaxation exercises are also available for effective treatment of your symptomatology. Dr. John Smothers heads this department and is ready to give the personalized attention you deserve.
Acupuncture is a method of encouraging the body to promote natural healing & to improve functioning. This is done by inserting needles & applying heat or electrical stimulation at very precise acupuncture points. Putting needles at acupuncture points stimulates the nervous system to release chemicals in the muscles, spinal cord, & brain. These chemicals will either change the experience of pain, or they will trigger the release of other chemicals & hormones which influence the body's own internal regulating system. The improved energy & biochemical balance produced by acupuncture results in stimulating the body's natural healing abilities & in promoting physical & emotional well-being. Acupuncture can be an effective treatment in the following disorders:
- DIGESTIVE: gastritis & hyperacidity, spastic colon, constipation, diarrhea.
- RESPIRATORY: sinusitis, sore throat, bronchitis, asthma, chest infections.
- NEUROLOGICAL & MUSCULAR: headaches, facial tics, neck pain, rib neuritis, frozen shoulder, tennis elbow, tendonitis, low back pain, sciatica, osteoarthritis.
Urinary, Menstrual Reproductive problems. Tension, Stress & Emotional conditions.
Treatments can range from one or two visits a week to four times a year. Some patients feel slight pain when the needles are inserted but there is no pain once the needles are in place. Give us a call for our latest brochure & more information.
- Pharmacological Treatment
- Trigger Point Injections
- IntraArticular Injections
- Botox Therapy for Movement Disorders
- Epidural/Nerve Blocks
- Biofeedback-Relaxation Exercises
- Stress Management
- Quantitative Sensory Testing
- Autonomic Testing. Evaluates autonomic nervous system, the part of your nervous system not under voluntary control such as breathing, or heart beat. This test takes about 1/2 hour.
- EEG - Electroencephalogram - A test that measures & records the electrical activity in the brain, looking for any physical or chemical abnormalities. This test takes approximately 1 hour & involves pasting small electrodes on the scalp.
- 24 Hour EEG/Ambulatory EEG. An EEG which records onto a cassette or memory chip for a 24 hour period. Patient wears the small recorder home on a belt around the waist & returns the next day to have the machine removed.
- EMG - Electromyography. This test evaluates your muscles for abnormalities, using a small pin inserted into various muscles. It is somewhat uncomfortable and usually done in conjunction with the NCS.
- NCS - Nerve Condition Study. These tests evaluate the nerves in your arm or leg, using a small amount of current to stimulate the nerves. The responses are recorded. This test is somewhat uncomfortable and is usually done in conjunction with an EMG. The EMG & NCS can take anywhere from 30-90 minutes.
- P300 - Cognitive Evoked Response. Evaluates memory & concentration.
- BAER - Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response. A test to evaluate the brainstem response to auditory (hearing) stimuli. This test takes approximately 1 hour.
- BAER Hearing Threshold Evaluation. This test is similar to the BAER but is done at multiple volumes to estimate hearing threshold, usually in infants.
- SER - Sensory Evoked Response. These tests evaluate the spinal column & somatosensory nerve tract, including the brain. Mild stimulation of an extremity produces a response recorded from the brain. These tests can take 45 to 90 minutes & are mildly uncomfortable.
- VER - Visual Evoked Response. A test to evaluate the optic nerve, recording the response to visual stimuli. This test takes approximately 1 hour.
- BEAM - Brain Electrical Mapping. A highly sophisticated diagnostic computerized testing to evaluate various nerve systems in the brain with computerized & quantitative analysis.
Our Billing Policy
In order to keep our patient care charges reasonable and to reduce our overhead expenses, we expect payment at the time of each visit. We accept cash, personal checks, Visa and Master Card, Discover. We are available to assist you with the completion and submission of your insurance forms, but this is your responsibility. This also applies to diagnostic testing as well as laboratory services. We are aware that special arrangements may be necessary and this can be discussed with the patient coordinator at the time of your appointment.
Please make sure you schedule your follow-up appointments in advance to avoid running out of your medication. Also, ALL controlled medications require a scheduled appointment for the medication to be refilled
Telephone Calls: During and After Hours; Emergencies
Our professional staff has been trained to assist you when you call. If a return call is necessary, please leave your full name, date of birth and phone numbers so you can be contacted. After hours, in the event of an emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest hospital or emergency room. Urgent matters you will have the option to reach the on-call physician
Your Complete Neurological Examination
Due to the complex nature of the nervous system, each examination may vary depending upon your problems and your history. The initial exam may include the assessment of muscular strength, mobility, reflexes, sensation, vibration, coordination, balance, memory, vision and speech. Your treatment and possible future testing are determined by the findings obtained during this examination.
Your Initial Visit
During your first visit you will be asked to furnish us with general information and complete a detailed medical history which may include: current medications, allergy history, details about your current problems, prior medical history, hospitalizations and surgeries. You probably will have been instructed to bring with you all pertinent prior medical tests and results, including the actual films from X-rays, MRIs and CT scans. Our physician prefer to personally review these films after meeting with you, obtaining a detailed history and performing a physical examination.